Thursday, September 24, 2026

Last Spring,the most popular course at Yale was “Thr Catholic Intellectual Tradition”

Last spring, the most popular history course at Yale was The Catholic Intellectual Tradition, a survey of Catholic thinking and writing from the first century to the present. It beat out such popular, evergreen classes as The Birth of Europe and The Roman Empire. I was asked to assist with this 85-student course as a teaching fellow. Each week, after scrolling past calls to defund the humanities and to automate the many jobs that make a liberal arts education possible, I found myself surrounded by eager students ready to engage with fourth-century Christology, medieval mysticism, World War II–era debates over “just war” theory, and much more.”

I Teach at Yale. There Are Gen Z Catholics All Around Me. I Know What Must Be Done.

Universities need to do more to connect with an increasingly religious student body.

A rosary draped over a Yale sweater.
Photo illustration by Slate. Photos by Erick W. Rasco/Sports Illustrated via Getty Images and thinkomatic/iStock/Getty Images Plus.

More: https://x.com/slate/status/2093030881074012171?s=46&t=IydJ-X8H6c0NM044nYKQ0w

No comments:


Thank you for visiting.

Followers

Kamsahamnida, Dziekuje, Terima kasih, Doh je, Grazie, Tesekur, Gracias, Dank u, Shukran

free counters