Monday, September 14, 2026

My Appeal to Pope Leo XIV: The TLM Is Easier for Me to Actively Participate In

Will appeals from the laity, begging Pope Leo XIV to restore Summorum Pontificum, be heard?


  • I recently listened to Michael Knowles’ interview with Cardinal Raymond Burke. Toward the later part of the interview, there was a discussion on the Traditional Latin Mass. His Eminence said:

    I think that the most important thing is for those who love the Traditional Latin Mass [TLM] to make known to their bishops, and to the Holy Father most of all, their desire to worship according to this form, and that they’re not calling into question the validity of the Second Vatican Council. (32:57)

    Upon hearing this, I was inspired to send a letter to the Holy Father in accordance with my canonical right and obligation (CIC, can. 212, §2). However, that canon says that our opinions should not only be made known to the “sacred pastors” but also to “the rest of the Christian faithful.” In this spirit and as a participation in “synodal dialogue,” I desire to share in more detail what I sent to Pope Leo XIV: I desire to worship with the TLM because I find it easier to understand and participate in.

    I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic high school, but I didn’t truly believe or embrace the Faith until I was in college. The parish I grew up in was a typical but not extreme “spirit of Vatican II” church. I found Catholicism (as I knew it) to be uninteresting, unreasonable, and uncomfortably silly. This dramatically changed when I was exposed to the Church’s intellectual tradition and simultaneously met my closest spiritual mentor, my former pastor and college chaplain. I began to reorient my life around the Truth under his direction.

    But there was a serious stumbling block. I understood why the Church teaches that “the sacrifice of Christ and the sacrifice of the Eucharist are one single sacrifice” (CCC 1367) in terms of argumentation. I trusted that it was sound, but I couldn’t see it for myself. It simply did not “match” my lived experience of the liturgy.

    My pastor invited me and several other college men to attend a Latin Mass on his day off—this was during the time of Summorum Pontificum. It was a low Mass in the ugly convent chapel. I had no idea what he was saying or doing. I thought it would be the “regular” Mass in Latin. However, I quickly perceived with intense curiosity that the form of prayer was different than anything I had experienced. When that consecrated host was elevated, it clicked. For the first time, I realized I truly was at Calvary.

    More: https://crisismagazine.com/opinion/my-appeal-to-pope-leo-xiv-the-tlm-is-easier-for-me-to-actively-participate-in

No comments:


Thank you for visiting.

Followers

Kamsahamnida, Dziekuje, Terima kasih, Doh je, Grazie, Tesekur, Gracias, Dank u, Shukran

free counters